“In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes,” said Andy Warhol in 1968. And yet the iconic pop artist’s personal fame and influence continues to endure today well beyond his 15 minutes—this year, in fact, marks the 25th anniversary of his death.
The most recent ode to Warhol? Five stunning limited-edition gift sets from Nars. François Nars, who’s said the artist has very much influenced his work, has incorporated elements that are Warhol signatures into the almost-too-pretty-to-use sets: his love of silver (one could find the metallic hue everywhere from his shaggy shock of hair to the foil-lined walls of his studio, the Factory); the artist’s mysterious aura; the saturated colors of his silk screens; and the innate coolness of the personalities he surrounded himself with.
From the authentic film canister-enclosed Edie gift set (inspired by one of his muses, the wide-eyed, leggy, 60s It Girl Edie Sedgwick) to the trio of Self Portrait Eyeshadow Palettes—line them up to create your own Warhol triptych—the collection’s pieces both exude Warhol’s eccentricity while also managing to be completely wearable. A touch of the Silver Factory Multiple, for example, on the cheekbones or eyelid will give you the perfect highlight, while the Desire Blush, a perky pink, swept onto the apples of the cheeks will make you look like you’re just in from the great outdoors.
1. Photo Booth, $40. Includes four mini nail polishes including Silver Factory, Chelsea Girls, Soup Can and Back Room.
2. Soft Touch Shadow Pencil, $28. Available in three shades.
3. Highlighting Blush, $32. Available in Satellite of Love.
4. Beautiful Darling, $55. Includes Mini Candy Darling Nail Polish, Woman in Revolt Larger Than Life Lip Gloss, Femme Fatale Duo Eyeshadow and a silver deluxe cosmetics bag.
5. Warhol “Self Portrait” Eyeshadow Palettes, $65 each. Available in three variations of Andy Warhol’s painting, Self Portrait, 1967.
6. Larger Than Life Lipgloss, $30. Available in five shades.
7. Edie, $85. Includes Film Star Pure Matte Lipstick, Edie Eyeshadow, Carpates Eyeliner Stylo, Deep Throat/Amour mini Blush Duo in an authentic 16mm film canister.
Writer: Karen Kwan